We deploy our suite of pooled investment vehicles to meet each investor’s unique objectives.
By combining multiple Makena-managed investment vehicles, investors can achieve different target levels of risk, return and liquidity based on their unique needs. We believe pooled vehicles offer the best structure for investors to take advantage of the benefits of scale, including access to premier managers, global diversification and risk management.
We serve a diverse client roster including endowments and foundations, family offices, and pensions and financial institutions, all aligned with us in the commitment to preserve and grow long-term capital.
+ Endowments and Foundations
- Our endowment and foundation clients rely on us to meet multiple objectives, including growth, preservation of assets and consistent payout to fund ongoing institutional requirements. We offer a range of services, including providing primary exposure to alternative investments and delivering fully outsourced investment management. With transparency as a key tenet of our firm, we offer detailed reporting synched to client governance requirements.
- Makena serves as the outsourced investment office, in the role of Outsourced Chief Investment Officer, for institutions seeking senior investment leadership and expertise to complement internal resources. We draw upon our experience managing transitions for complex endowment and foundation portfolios.
- In addition to serving our clients, our firm’s Managing Directors and investment professionals serve as Board and Investment Committee members for leading endowments and foundations. In this capacity, we experience first-hand the critical issues facing fiduciaries today.
- Endowments and foundations comprise a sizeable portion of our investment base, reflecting the heritage of our firm, which was founded by principals from leading North American endowments and foundations.
+ Family Offices
- We focus on the multi-generational component of family portfolios. Our range of services includes providing primary exposure to alternative investments and managing a significant portion of family assets. We work closely with family members, investment office staff and professional advisors to structure investment solutions that take into account the family’s long-term objectives.
- Makena offers administrative simplicity across a broad range of diversified investments. Our family office clients are on the same footing as our largest, institutional investors and benefit equally from ongoing communications on market perspectives and investment themes.
- Our family office clients span four continents, reflecting the global nature of our investment philosophy.
+ Pensions and Financial Institutions
- Makena provides international financial institutions, including sovereign wealth funds and national pension funds, access to highly select investment managers in pooled investment structures with disciplined risk management, governance and transparency. The firm often serves as a benchmark for institutions applying best practices in investment strategy and organizational development.
- We share critical thinking on challenging investment strategies, offering our investment expertise in support of broader portfolio initiatives. In response to demand from our global institutional clients, we periodically source co-investments and develop new, targeted investment vehicles to meet specific exposure requirements.
- Serving international institutions with large pools of perpetual capital, which comprise a major component of our firm’s assets under management, is a cornerstone of our firm.
+ Registered Investment Advisors
- We help advisors improve portfolio diversification and risk-adjusted returns for their clients by providing them with immediate access to private assets via a fully mature portfolio constructed from a curated list of elite fund managers that are selected by a team of Ivy League endowment-quality investors with decades of experience.
- Makena offers administrative simplicity across a broad range of diversified investments. Our advisors are on the same footing as our largest, institutional investors and benefit equally from ongoing communications on market perspectives and investment themes.